It is a big decision for wedding couples to make: Do we do our formal and group portraits before or after our ceremony? We discuss this with each of our couples because there are many reasons why pre-ceremony photos work well. However, it is also understandable that people want to stick with tradition and not see their fiance before the wedding ceremony, and we will (and any photographer should) always honor that. So, for those of you who are on the fence as to when to do photos, we have come up with five reasons for doing group photos before the ceremony, and you can think it over and make your own decision.
1. More time for very cool photos. If you want to get some amazing photos, it takes time. And more often than not, there is not a lot of time in between the ceremony and reception. Inevitably, we end up rushing through poses and group shots so everyone can get to the reception.
2. You get to see each other before the wedding. For those wedding couples who are nervous, or anxious, it helps to see the one person who can make you feel better before the wedding! You can chat, the bride can hear how pretty she looks from her groom, and you can both relax before you walk down the aisle.
3. You can spend more time with your guests. You probably have a cocktail hour that you would like to participate in! If you are getting photos done post-ceremony, you will most likely miss that hour. Scheduling photos before your ceremony gives you absolute freedom after the ceremony to have fun, hang with guests, or even have a minute alone to go for a walk.
4. We can photograph your special moment when you see each other for the first time. This can be a great event, similar to when you walk up the aisle, where you can plan a nice moment together before the photos. And we can capture it beautifully! In fact, we can probably get more emotion and better images of this than of the aisle shot.
5. Better light for photography. More often than not, we can run out of light for those after ceremony images, especially if it is a later ceremony. If you don’t want to take your images in the dark, it is best to do the photos before the ceremony.
We work with all our couples to ensure you have the best wedding photography experience, so if you are determined to wait until the ceremony to see your fiance, then that is what we will do. For those still deciding, we hope this information will help you make your decision!